Jun 25, 2019
The Veterinary Technology program is a two year program offered by the Agriculture Department of Hinds Community College. This program is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Graduates may become a Certified Veterinary Technician upon passing the certification examinations offered by the Mississippi Veterinary Medical Board and the American Veterinary Medical Association. Employment opportunities for Veterinary Technicians include small and large animal practices, medical research, pharmaceutical research, wildlife rehabilitation, humane societies, zoological parks, and government agencies.
In addition to general admission requirements for the college, applicants interested in the Veterinary Technology program must meet and complete the following:
- Complete a Selection Application for Veterinary Technology Students in order to be considered for interview prior to application deadline (see Veterinary Technology website for deadline)
- Successfully complete Level 2 Math (MAT 0123 ) and have obtained Level 3 Math (MAT 1233 ) or higher OR score a 17 or above on the Math portion of the ACT. If a student has not taken the ACT, an applicant may substitute the COMPASS test
- Interview for selection prior to the program. Work experience or a shadowing experience in a veterinary practice prior to the interview is highly recommended. (see Veterinary Technology website for observation document)
Students who are reapplying for this program must complete the following: (Note that a student may reapply for program one time).
- Complete a Selection Application for Veterinary Technology Students
- Interview for selection prior to the program
- Take Improvement of Study (LLS 1413 ) class prior to or during the semester the program is reentered
Raymond - 601.857.3456
Approved practice or veterinary facility
Total: 18 SH
Prerequisite for first year second semester: Successful completion of all previously required VAT courses with a grade of “C” or higher.
*Only students enrolled in the hybrid option of the Veterinary Technology program must take one of the following courses during the summer following the first year. Students in the face-to-face program are not required to take one of these courses. Hybrid students will also be required to meet with the HCC faculty and staff on the Raymond campus at a scheduled time during the summer.
Total: 3-6 SH
Prerequisite for second year first semester: Successful completion of all previously required VAT courses with a grade of “C” or higher.
Total: 15 SH
Prerequisite for second year second semester: Successful completion of all previous required VAT courses with a grade of “C” or higher.
Total: 15 SH
Prerequisite for Internship: Successful completion of all academic and technical courses in the Veterinary Technology curriculum with an overall GPA of 2.0 and a grade of “C” or higher in all required VAT courses.
2nd Summer Internship
All students must take one of the following courses. Students in the hybrid option of the Veterinary Technology program will also be required to meet with the HCC faculty and staff on the Raymond campus at a scheduled time during the summer.
Completion Award: Associate in Applied Science Degree 70-76 SH
**Additional Graduation Requirement: Any student (first-time, transfer, and part-time) who begins at Hinds Fall 2007 and later will be required to take LLS 1312 /RST 1312 /RSV 1312 - Orientation course in order to graduate from the College. Exception: Orientation credit (1-3 hrs) transferred to Hinds from another college will satisfy our orientation requirement.