Jul 06, 2022
The Veterinary Technology program is a two-year program offered by the Agriculture Department of Hinds Community College. This program is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). Graduates may become a Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) upon passing the certification examination offered by the Mississippi Veterinary Medical Board. Employment opportunities for Veterinary Technicians can include small and large animal practices, medical research, pharmaceutical research, wildlife rehabilitation, humane societies, zoological parks, and government agencies.
FALL ENTRANCE ONLY
NOTE: A student must have successful completion of VAT courses with a grade of "C" or higher to be eligible for advancing semester.
- complete a general Application for Admission to Hinds Community College
- complete the Veterinary Technology Selection Application
- complete a minimum of 35 hours of observation in a veterinary clinic
- be eligible for ENG 1114 or ENG 1113 ; OR have scored 231 or higher on NEXT-GEN ACCUPLACER.
- have ACT® Reading subscore of 17 or higher; OR have scored 246 or higher on NEXT-GEN ACCUPLACER OR have successfully completed ENG 1114 or ENG 1113 .
- have ACT® Math subscore of 15 or higher; OR have scored 237 or higher on Next-Generation ACCUPLACER; OR have successfully completed MAT 1133 or equivalent or a math level higher.
- interview for admission to the program
Fall entrance only
Raymond - 601.857.3456 • Program Admissions - 601.857.3334
Total: 18 SH
Prerequisite for first year, second semester: Successful completion of all previously required VAT courses with a grade of "C" of higher.
Total: 17 SH
Prerequisite for second year, first semester: Successful completion of all previously required VAT courses with a grade of "C" of higher.
Total: 15 SH
Prerequisite for second year, second semester: Successful completion of all previously required VAT courses with a grade of "C" of higher.
Total: 15 SH
Prerequisite for Internship: Successful completion of all academic and technical courses in the Veterinary Technology curriculum with an overall GPA of 2.0 and a grade of "C" or higher in all required VAT courses.
Internship: Summer following second year
**Completion Award: Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology 68 SH
**Additional Graduation Requirement:
- Orientation - Any student (first-time, transfer, and part-time) who begins at Hinds Fall 2007 and later will be required to take Orientation (LLS 1312 /RST 1312 ) to graduate from the College. Exception: Orientation credit (1-3 hrs) transferred to Hinds from another college will satisfy our orientation requirement.